Friday, May 31, 2013

Dalek Build Week Three

its update time...


I was away for the weekend attending Phoenix ComiCon and so wasnt able to get any building done, but I did manage to get a day off this week so I decided that I would give my build another attack...

So I started work on the skirt section...

I used chip board (Particleboard) for the frame, which was great initially BUT for some reason when I went to attach the panels I found that the top section of the frame had moved about an inch to the left, and what had actually happened was the front support had warped.  This was probably something to do with the heat here in Tucson and the holes I had cut out of it attempting to reduce the weight a little. 









Whatever the reason was I had to take off all the panels I had already attached, realign the top part of the frame and reattach everything, I suspect that attaching, detaching and reattaching is going to be a common theme for this build...

the thing I like about a custom build is the little additions and the customising of parts, you cant really get it wrong....  You'll also notice the holes int he back panel for the vents, I liked the way the MK6 Daleks looked with those additions so I wanted to add them to my NSD hybrid.




with just a few hours left before it gets dark I decided to make start on a few more things.... and with not much else to do I decided to start on the Hemis.  I wanted to approach this whole project with a patient and when I get the time type of thing but as Im sure most of you have experienced, when you start to see it coming together you want to use any spare time to do a little more....  Right now my back is killing me so I'm taking it easy but hoping that it feels better later so i can get out there and continue to put the hemis together.


Im sure you've noticed from the photos I dont have a workshop nor a shed or garage to work in, so Im working in the shade of a Pomegranate tree and it gets really hot here and the bugs.... wow

but anyway.... heres the latest update.

for the Hemi surrounds I used quart lids purchased from Home Depot 55c each


while these dried I made start on the vents (on the back panel) using scraps of MDF left over from the skirt panels.



Back to the Hemis.... (as you can see I rabbit trail..... bouncing from one thing to the other then back again).  Again using scraps of MDF I cut 54 3 1/2inch circles these are then glued in to the hemis with a nut and spacer keeping it in place.


a hole cut in the centre of the quart lid and you have a hemi and surround.


left these overnight to allow the glue to dry..... now this next bit I think pretty much every Dalek builder has done at around this point of their builds.....

I wanted to see how the skirt looked with some of the hemis attached....



the only thing Im questioning right now is the black surround, being that Im building this to imperial colours Im wondering if I should make the surround the same colour as the hemi.  The skirt will be an Ivory colour and Im worried that the black surround with be to much....

what do you guys think???

1 comment:

  1. I think black hemis would look great. Also, the artwork you've put at the bottom of this website (the classic who Villains) was done by mimi-na.deviantart.com or Amy Mebberson. Idk if you have done so already, but you need to get her permission for that. She'll get really mad if you don't...

    ReplyDelete